Last Updated on
Postwoman is an open source alternative to Postman. (Usually used for API request building)
Using Postwoman is basically same as using Postman, there should be no learning curve at all if you switch from Postman to Postwoman.
Description from official GitHub page
❤️ Lightweight: Crafted with minimalistic UI design – simple design is the best design.
⚡️ Fast: Send requests and get/copy responses in real-time – fast software is the best software.
GET– Retrieve information about the REST API resource
HEAD– Retrieve response headers identical to those of a GET request, but without the response body.
POST– Create a REST API resource
PUT– Update a REST API resource
DELETE– Delete a REST API resource or related component
CONNECT– Establishes a tunnel to the server identified by the target resource
OPTIONS– Describe the communication options for the target resource
TRACE– Performs a message loop-back test along the path to the target resource
PATCH– Apply partial modifications to a REST API resource
<custom>– Some APIs use custom request methods such as
LIST. Type in your custom methods.
🌈 Make it yours: Customizable combinations for background, foreground and accent colors: because customization is freedom. Customize now ✨.
- Choose theme: Kinda Dark (default), Clearly White, Just Black and System theme
- Choose accent color: Green (default), Yellow, Pink, Red, Purple, Orange, Cyan and Blue
- Toggle multi-colored headings
Customized themes are synced with local session storage
🔥 PWA: Install as a PWA on your device.
- Instant loading with Service Workers
- Offline support
- Low RAM/memory and CPU usage
- Add to Home Screen
- Desktop PWA
- (full features)
🚀 Request: Retrieve response from endpoint instantly.
- Copy/share public “Share URL”
- Generate request code for
- Copy generated request code to clipboard
- Label requests
🔌 WebSocket: Establish full-duplex communication channels over a single TCP connection.
- Send and receive data
- Basic and Bearer Token authentication
📡 Server Sent Events: Receive a stream of updates from a server over a HTTP connection without resorting to polling.
🔮 GraphQL: GraphQL is a query language for APIs and a runtime for fulfilling those queries with your existing data.
- Set endpoint and get schemas
- Multi-column docs
- Set custom request headers
- Query schema
- Get query response
🔐 Authentication: Allows to identify the end user.
- Bearer Token
- OAuth 2.0
- OIDC Access Token/PKCE (Proof Key for Code Exchange)
📢 Headers: Describes the format the body of your request is being sent as.
- Add or remove Header list
📫 Parameters: Use request parameters to set varying parts in simulated requests.
📃 Request Body: Used to send and receive data via the REST API.
- Add or remove Parameter list
- Toggle between key-value and RAW input Parameter list
👋 Responses: Contains the status line, headers and the message/response body.
- Copy response to clipboard
- Download response to as a file
- View preview of HTML responses
⏰ History: Request entries are synced with local session storage to reuse with a single click.
- Status code
- Pre-request script
History entries can be sorted by any fields
Histories can be deleted one-by-one or all together
📁 Collections: Keep your API requests organized with collections and folders. Reuse them with a single click.
- Create infinite collections, folders and requests
- Edit, delete, move, export, import and replace
Collections are synced with local session storage
🌐 Proxy: Enable Proxy Mode from Settings to access blocked APIs.
- Hide your IP address
- Fixes CORS (Cross Origin Resource Sharing) issues
- Access APIs served in non-HTTPS (
- Use custom Proxy URL
📜 Pre-Request Scripts β: Snippets of code associated with a request that are executed before the request is sent.
- Include timestamp in the request headers
- Send a random alphanumeric string in the URL parameters
Requests with Pre-Request Scripts are indicated in History entries
📄 API Documentation: Create and share dynamic API documentation easily, quickly.
- Add your requests to Collections and Folders
- Export Collections and easily share your APIs with the rest of your team
- Import Collections and Generate Documentation on-the-go
⌨️ Keyboard Shortcuts: Optimized for efficiency.
- Send Request Ctrl + G
- Save to Collections Ctrl + S
- Copy Request Link Ctrl + K
- Reset Request Ctrl + L
🌎 i18n β: Experience the app in your own language.
- Scroll down to the footer
- Click “Choose Language” icon button
- Select your language from the menu
Keep in mind: Translations aren’t available for all source and target language combinations
To provide a localized experience for users around the world, you can add you own translations.
i18n contributions are welcome to
i18n branch only!
📦 Add-ons: Official add-ons for Postwoman.
- Proxy β – A simple proxy server created for Postwoman
- CLI β – A CLI solution for Postwoman
- Browser Extensions – Browser extensions that simplifies access to Postwoman Firefox (GitHub) | Chrome (GitHub)Extensions fixes
Add-ons are developed and maintained under Official Postwoman Organization.
☁️ Auth + Sync: Sign in and sync in real-time.
Sign in with:
✅ Post-Request Tests β: Write tests associated with a request that are executed after the request response.
- Check the status code as an integer
- Filter response headers
- Parse the response data
To find out more, please check out Postwoman Wiki.